Why Should Your Dog Wear A Harness?
Walking your dog is an important part of their daily routine, but it's important to make sure that they are comfortable and safe while on walks. One of the best ways to ensure their safety is by using a harness instead of a collar. Here are a few reasons why your dog should wear a harness on walks:
- Harnesses distribute pressure evenly: Collars can put pressure on your dog's neck and throat, which can cause injury or discomfort. Harnesses, on the other hand, distribute pressure evenly across the chest and shoulders, making them a safer option for dogs.
- Harnesses prevent pulling: Harnesses that have a front D-ring attachment can prevent pulling by redirecting the dog's attention back to the owner. Harnesses that have a front D-ring attachment can also provide more control during walks, making it easier to keep your dog by your side.
- Harnesses provide added control: Harnesses that have a back D-ring attachment provide added control for dogs that may pull or become excited on walks. This makes it easier to keep your dog by your side and prevent them from running off.
- Harnesses are great for dogs with respiratory issues: Dogs with respiratory issues such as brachycephalic breeds (short-nosed breeds) like Bulldogs and Pugs can have trouble breathing while wearing a collar, as it can put pressure on their airways. Harnesses are a safer option for these breeds as they do not put pressure on their airways.
- Harnesses are great for dogs with neck injuries: Dogs that have had neck injuries or surgeries should not wear collars as it can put pressure on their neck and cause further injury. Harnesses are a safer option as they distribute pressure evenly across the chest and shoulders.
- Harnesses are great for dogs with identification tags: Harnesses have a place to put identification tags, and it's less likely to get lost or fall off than a collar.
In conclusion, using a harness on walks can provide added safety, control and comfort for your dog. It's important to choose the right size and type of harness for your dog. We recommend our Everyday Dog Walking Harness